Saturday, February 9, 2013

on body image, self confidence and wellbeing

I feel like I want to talk about something that has been bugging my mind for a while now. I'm grateful to anyone who reads this through. I'll have to go a few years back to explain the whole situation.

When I was in middle school, I didn't exercise. Ever. I had overheard a few girls in my gym class making fun of how bad I was at football. We had fitness tests at school and I always got crappy marks. All of my experiences towards working out were negative and I felt like I could never be good at any sport. I had taken some tennis classes before and somewhat enjoyed it, but for some reason I quit that, too. Probably lack of self confidence.

When I was in my second year at high school, I became aware of the fact that I had gained some weight - I saw some pictures of myself and was disgusted. I have never been fat or overweight, but I certainly had become a little plumper. So I decided to change my habits and got a gym membership. I quickly realised that I actually quite liked the group lessons, especially the Les Mills ones - I got hooked on BodyPump and BodyAttack in just a few months. I started going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Exercising made me feel more alert and I didn't even have the urge to eat junk food anymore. I felt healthy, I got more muscles and I lost about 5 kg of fat. This went on for about two years - I managed to maintain this stage of physique even though I sometimes went a little up and down in weight. I always had a few kilos to lose to reach my target weight, though.

 This is what my HeiaHeia page used to look like.

This autumn everything changed. I went through a rough time mentally since there were lots of changes in my life at that point. I moved away from my parents', I started at a new school and broke up with my teenage boyfriend. I was lost and tired all the time. I wanted to make new friends at the university and I attended quite a few freshers' parties. Our courses at school took up huge amounts of time since I had to learn completely new things and turn in big assignments every week. I stopped eating healthy - I just didn't have any energy left when I came home in the evening so making some pasta and eating bread and other high-carb foods was just easier than taking the time to compose a salad of healthy ingredients. Going to the gym felt impossible when I was already multitasking every second of my day to get all my work done. I was, and still am, very close to a burn out.


I have never been one of those girls who can eat anything and stay skinny and damn, that pisses me off. Six months of not exercising and eating unhealthy have brought me back to the point where I started a few years back - I have gained back the five kilos and possibly more, I haven't really wanted to check lately. And trust me, five kilos in a short girl like me is a lot.

I know that I am normal weight. I want to stress that the (main) point of this post is not to complain about my extra kilos, but to wonder why I let my weight define the way I feel about myself. Why do I feel like my value as a human being has decreased after gaining some weight? Why do I feel guilty every time I eat? Why do I keep thinking how other people see me every time I interact with someone or only walk past someone?

The obvious answer that comes to mind, of course, is the suffocating pressure young girls get from the fashion industry. Bloggers and models with their bony chests and long, thin legs create an illusion of women having to look like skeletons to be socially accepted, while the most desired feminine body especially among men is often actually a little curvier. It feels like a slap in the face to see magazines writing articles on "how to love your body" and at the same time giving diet tips and advise on how to get the extra fat off your thighs. But it's not even entirely about the media. We women actively set sick standards for ourselves and our friends by pointing out our round body parts and gushing over what kind of unhealthy food we've had during the past few days. The whole society is so twisted around body image issues that gaining a few kilos makes me feel like a bad, lazy person when the truth is that I've just been going through a rough period during which it's been hard for me to take care of myself.

I'm not here to blame anyone. I just want to state my frustration at the fact that I can't forgive myself for not being able to reach the standards I've set for myself, and my anger towards the fact that society makes me feel like I need to set those standards for myself. I'm talented in many ways, I'm intelligent, I find myself reasonably pretty. But seeing my body in the mirror makes me forget those things and sends my self confidence down the drain. And let's keep in mind that I am, after all, normal weight. Why do I feel like this?

Perhaps it's just that I'm used to being a little lighter. But even when I exercised actively I never felt good enough.

I bet everyone out there has felt anxious and self conscious about their bodies. But there are so many more important things in life that it sickens me that I feel so obsessed about this. What I want to ask you guys is what you do to feel good about yourselves. How do you boost your confidence?

Now that I'm slowly recovering from the stress and exhaustion I've been feeling, I have a burning desire to get to the gym and feel active again. It's just that I've been in a flu for weeks now, and I never overcome it because I don't have time to rest.  I guess I just have to take small steps to having a healthy body and mind again. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be fit and strong.



Thank you for taking the time to read this, I really felt like I had to share this. And don't worry, my blog won't be turning as depressive as this post was. I just wanted to get this out of my head and ask your opinions - do you feel pressured to stay skinny and how do you handle that pressure? How do you stay healthy?

Hugs and kisses.

Images: weheartit.comheiaheia.com

20 comments:

  1. You have a seriously good talent for writing. And your English is perfect! Well done for raising this increasingly important issue for teenage girls. Luckily I am naturally sporty but I don't exercise as much as I used to. However, each week at school usually we do a workout session at the gym which I enjoy. I don't feel pressurised to stay skinny because I am naturally tall and skinny, so for that reason I'm quite happy with my body. But I hate my face, I think my nose is massive :( so I'm really self-conscious about that. But for other girls who are really self-conscious of their thighs which aren't even that big clearly feel the need to go to the gym every day although I must admit, I can't really see them losing any weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments :) I would love to be naturally skinny and tall but no can do! I guess we all have something about our appearance that we feel self-conscious about, but we just have to get used to those things...

      Delete
  2. voi Joanna! <3 surullista lukea että kelaat noin:( hitsi ku voisin olla siellä tsemppaamassa sua joka päivä tai viikko! se, että oot flunssassa ei kyllä auta tilannetta jos haluaa treenaamaan edes silloin tällöin eli nyt sun pitää hoitaa ittes kuntoon! muista joka päivä syödä c ja d-vitamiinit ja kalaöljyt! Ja nukkua! tiesitkö että kunnon yöunet vähentää jonku kortisonin??? erittymistä sun vartalossa ja se kortisoni lisää taipumusta lihoa vai miten se nyt meni. no anyway unet ja vitamiinit kuntoon! Käy ostaa esim sellasta sinkki, c vitamiini juomaa nimeltä Posivil Zink tai syö purkista sinkkiä c:tä ja D:tä. ja D vitamiinia saa syödä moninkertasesti siihen nähden mitä purkin kyljessä lukee. Ne suositusrajat on valtion asettamia ja on oikeeseen tarpeeseen nähden ihan liian matalat, ja ihan vaan sen takia että jengi tulis flunssaan ja lääketeollisuus vetäis! Älä aseta itelles mitään massiivisa tavotteita :) sitten ku sulla on taas aikaa ja energiaa ja oot TERVE jaksat ihan varmasti palata entiseen aktiivisuuteen! :) Hirvee terveyspaasaus mutta oon täällä nyt jutellut kavereiden kanssa niin paljon aiheesta ja alkanu itekki huolehtia enemmän siitä niin huomaa kyllä että se auttaa :) oot rakas pus<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. voi olis niiin ihanaa jos oisit mun treeniseurana <3 sit keväämmällä mennään taas lenkille yhdessä, tosin joudut jarruttelee mun seurassa hehe... Ja hei muistin et oot aiemmin kertonu Posivil Zinkistä ja oonkin nyt juonu sitä :) ja nyt vähitellen alkaa olla enemmän aikaa nukkua, tää viikko tulee kyl viel olemaan aika kreisi deadlinejen suhteen... Mut joo yritän kovasti parantua lauantaiks koska silloin oon menossa pumppailee pitkästä aikaa! Ihana nähä perjantaina, säkin oot rakas!<3

      Delete
    2. Linda, se on stressihormoni kortisoli!! ja kyllä, luulen että joannalla on muutenkin aikamoisesti erittyy sitä. lyhyellä aikavälillä se on hyväjuttu, pitkällä aikavälillä jos erittyy koko ajan ni lihakset lähtee ja läskiä tulee! ja huonot yöunet ei yhtään auta asiaa. allekirjotan noi kaikki ohjeet ;) ja kans se et joanna vaikka oot flunssassa ni kokeile jotain kevyttä liikuntaa ni tulee jo paljon parempi olo! tuut vaikka iltakävelylle mun ja kinkun kanssa :F

      Delete
    3. joo stressiä on kyllä ollut ihan kiitettävästi... ja tuun ehdottomasti, ens kerralla call me maybe!!

      Delete
  3. This article is so amazingly written! And I agree with you, I hate the fact, that the way I feel is determined by how much I weight. I am tall and slim, but I used to be really skinny and I kinda miss that, I just felt better. And I envy my twin sister that she can eat whatever she wants and never gets fatter. On the other hand, she is trying to gain a bit and she can't. So everything has its pros and cons :) So now I just exercise and try to eat healthy. It's better to be healthy and fit :) But I love chocolate, so.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yeah I know how loving chocolate feels...:D I know that some people like your sister have trouble gaining weight, it seems absurd to me since that's never been the case for me, but I know that it can be a really annoying problem too. But your attitude towards staying healthy is just right, eating well and exercising is the key!

      Delete
  4. Everything in moderation. Find your confidence in your strengths and accomplishments, your body isn't anyone else's business so try to find body image and appreciation of it from within. I'd rather be normal sized and happy than constantly worrying about going to the gym and trying to lose weight. Its hard to see your beauty yourself, but trust me you shouldn't worry about it so much, you have no reason to. I have good days and bad days as we all do, sometimes clothes sometimes hair,sometimes figure.. but whats hard to realise is that others don't really see "your problems" cause they just think about their own..so keep that in mind and cheer up <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, I'll try. <3 It's just hard to change the way you think when you're used to something, like the way I'm used to worrying what other people think when they see me. And that goes with just about everything, not just how I look - the way I act, the way I speak etc. But yeah, one step at a time. :)

      Delete
  5. I've lost 10 kilos in the army. I become frustrated when I see all the muscle gone for which I had worked really hard. However, after a good workout I feel I'm able to achieve my goals again. Earlier I constantly thought I could and should have trained more and with higher intensity, even after a good workout. Nowadays I try to be more satisfied; Working out is already a healthy choice. I could have just stayed at home and sat on the couch, but I didn't, and I'm proud of it.
    Btw, you do not have to worry about your looks. Trust me. Others would do anything in order to look like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's so nice to hear. :)

      Your attitude towards working out seems great - thinking about your health is much more important than thinking about your looks. I'll have to try to develop a similiar attitude.

      I hope you achieve your goals, too. :)

      Delete
  6. Tulee ehkä vähän out of the blue, mutta siis seuraan sun blogia koska (vaikkei se päällepäin näy :D) muoti on ihan hauska asia ja oon kateellinen siitä, että jaksat panostaa kaikkeen sellaseen. Tähän oli pakko kommentoida, koska musta tuntuu, että olin vuos sitten ihan samassa tilanteessa, tai siis, joulukuussa 2012 poltin itteni oikeesti loppuun, koko syksy oli menny yhtä alamäkeä ja sitte kaikki kasaantu siihen joulun tienoille. Joka tapauksessa, se oli sellasta aikaa, etten syöny, en nukkunu, soitin hirveästi, lauloin, tein läksyjä ja jos joku sattoi esittää ihan yksinkertaisen pyynnön vaikka tyhjentää tiskikone, sain totaalisen hermoromahduksen. Abivuosi vielä ja kaikki sellanen tulevaisuusstressi ja ylppärit totta kai. Ni sit just tähän aikaa vuodesta tuli sellanen "pitäsköhän yrittää saada jostain taas kiinni"-olo. Se mun elämästä, pointti oli se, että jollain kierolla tavalla oli lohduttavaa lukea tää, sillä oon aina ajatellu, ku sä oot se superkaunis ja loistava ja menestyvä ja oot niin sellanen "nothing can stop me" -ihminen, ettei mikään tällänen ulkonäköasia vois mitenkään päästä sun pään sisään. Eli siis, oon ihan samaa mieltä kaikista noista ulkonäköpaineasioista, ja tosiaan on jotain vikaa systeemissä, jos sun kaltasten ihmisten pitää tuntea itsensä huonoks niiden takia. Niin kauan oon ollu sun tyylistäs kateellinen. :D

    Joo ja D-vitamiini kyl auttaa.
    Tulipas stalkkeri kommentti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voi ei apua. On aina niin outoa kuulla mitä muut ihmiset ajattelee oikeasti, kun oon niin tottunut kuvittelemaan, että kaikki näkee vaan ne mun negatiiviset puolet ja arvostelee jokaista liikettä. Tosi silmiä avaavaa.

      Kiva kuulla, että musta on välittynyt tollainen kuva. Todellisuus onkin sit kaukana siitä :D Pitäisi itsekin oppia tajuamaan, ettei kenenkään elämä oo täydellistä ja jokaisella on ne omat ongelmansa. Muistan kerran kun olin pitkään ajatellut että yhden kaverin elämä on ihanaa ja se on niin aikaansaava ja iloinen aina. Ja oho, sillä olikin syömishäiriö. Ei tainnut senkään elämä olla ihan huoletonta.

      Toivottavasti oot jo selvinnyt loppuunpalamisesta, ja täytyy sanoa että ei sustakaan ois päällepäin nähnyt sitä että sulla oli vaikeeta, sen verran pirteän ja ahkeran kuvan oon susta saanut! :)

      Kiitos kommentista ja kehuista, tulin oikeasti hyvälle mielelle (tai ainakin paremmalle). Yhdyn tohon fiilikseen että on lohdullista kuulla että jollain muullakin on mennyt huonosti - vaikka kuinka kiero fiilis se olisikaan :D

      Tsemppiä kevääseen :)

      Delete
  7. Joanna! Mä halusin kommentoida tähän heti kun luin tän, mutta en oikein osannu pukea ajatuksia sanoiks. Onneks nyt kun tulin tänne uudestaan, muut oli jo vähän tehny sitä mun puolesta :)

    Linda: "surullista lukea että kelaat noin:("

    Heidi: "Its hard to see your beauty yourself, but trust me you shouldn't worry about it so much, you have no reason to."

    A guy: "Btw, you do not have to worry about your looks. Trust me. Others would do anything in order to look like you."

    Joanna itse:D : "thinking about your health is much more important than thinking about your looks. I'll have to try to develop a similiar attitude."

    Oot hyvä tyyppi - fiksu, ystävällinen ja hyvätuulinen: kaikin puolin siis tosi mukava ja ihana tyyppi! Se jo yksinään riittäis siihen, että ihmiset näkee sut kauniina.:) Ja niin ne tekeekin, I know dat for a fact!;) Sitten siihen kun lisätään vielä se, että oot fyysisestikin poikkeavan kaunis, niin nooo worries love!:)) Toivon ja uskonkin, että joku päivä ajattelet iteki näin!!:D

    Ja hei, kiitos tästä teksistä - musta tuntuu, että monet mun lailla sai tästä jotain irti. Mulki on nimittäin aika ajoin ollu näitä samoja tuntemuksia, ja uskon että lähestulkoon kaikilla on ollut! Eli seki vielä lopputsemppinä, ettet tosiaankaan oo yksin tätä mieltä!:D Kaikilla on huonot peili-, hius- ja naamapäivät. Toivottavasti tosin sun fiilis on edes vähän kohentunut kirjoitushetkestä ja sen kun jatkaa nousuaan ylöspäin!:) Think positive and love life!!

    Nähään viikonloppuna, can't wait! PUS! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi ihana Annina! Oot niin rakas. <3

      No ainakin tän postauksen kommentit on kovasti nostanut fiiliksiä itsestäni. On niin hassua lukea miten muut voi ajatella musta niin eri tavalla kuin itse ajattelen! Totta kai tiedän, ettei ne omat ajatukset ihan realistisia ole ja niitä verhoaa aina omat negatiivisuudet, mutta oon saanu kuulla sellaisia kehuja että huhhuh, ihan rupeaa hymyilyttämään. :)

      Ihana kuulla että sait jotain irti tästä. Samoin mäkin oon saanut näistä kommenteista - varmasti itse kutakin lohduttaa se, että kaikilla on vaikeita fiiliksiä ulkonäön suhteen aina välillä. Sitä ei vaan monista uskois - säkin oot niin timmissä kunnossa ja ihanat hiukset ja nätti ja kaikkea että vaikea uskoa että sulla olis ulkonäkökriisejä!

      Ja jea, pian nähdään! Vietä ihana viikko! xxx

      Delete
  8. Kirjoituksen ajankohtaan nähden tää kommentti tulee vähän myöhässä, mutta mitäpätuosta!

    Oot ihan oikeassa tuosta muotimaailman (ja muunkin maailman) sairaasta kauneusihanteesta. Sehän meitä ajaa itsekritiikkiin. Kun kokoajan joka puolelta naamalle hyppii kuvia hoikemmista ja kauniimmista ihmisistä, on hankala ollakin kritisoimatta itseään. Blogimaailman uskottiin tuovan vaihtelevuutta, mutta kuinkas kävikään? Toki erilaisia ihmisiä pääsee enemmän esille, mutta suosituimmat blogit on kuitenkin niitä, joissa kirjoittaja näyttää supermallilta.

    Ja siksikin oli hyvä, että otit rohkeasti asian esille! Aika monet varmaan lukee sun blogia ja arvostaa ja jopa ihailee sua, niin on sinänsä tosi "tervettä" huomata, että ihmiset, joita katsoo ylöspäin painii samojen ongelmien kanssa kuin itsekin.

    Vallitseva kauneusihanne on siinä mielessä ärsyttävä juttu, että kun siihen on kasvanut, siitä on hyvin hankalaa päästää irti (edes oman pään sisällä). Mutta ei kannata luovuttaa, vanhemmiten saattaa tulla viisaammaksi!

    Itse arvostan pikkuisen enemmän kroppaani kuin ennen ja tässä syy; jouduin umpilisäkkeen leikkaukseen tässä joku vuosi sitten ja mahan arvesta tuli luultua isompi, koska sitä umpilisäkettä ei ensin meinannut löytyä. No sitten haava vielä tulehtui ja siihen tuli ties mitä ongelmia, mutta sum summarum mulla oli iso side mahan päällä tosi pitkään. Kun sain sen pois ja arpi alkoi parantua niin aloin jotenkin tykkäämään mun pienestä pömppömahasta tosi paljon. Jotenkin se tilanne oli siis sen sidoksen kanssa ollut semmonen, että kun maha oli kauan ollut piilossa, tuntui kuin olisin saanut sen takaisin :D Aika hölmöä, mutta silloin aloin arvostaa mun masua sellaisena kuin se on!

    Mulla on kyllä edelleen kompleksi mun käsivarsista, eikä ruumiinosien arpeuttaminen oo paras tapa lisätä niiden arvostusta, mutta tässä syy, jolla opin ainakin yhden osan kohdalla tykkäämään itsestäni sellaisena kuin olen. Ja kyllä se auttoi vähän muuhunkin minäkuvaan; pulskat käsivarret on parempi kuin ei käsivarsia, tai käsivarret siteissä.

    Ja sen haluaisin vielä sanoa, että kohtuus kaikessa (myös kohtuudessa); treenaaminen on tietty terveyden kannalta hyväksi, mutta liika on aina liikaa, melkeempä missä vain!

    tsemppiä kevääseen!

    t; lukija, kerralla koko kuun postaukset

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aina saa kirjoitella kommentteja, vaikka postauksista oliskin pitkä aika :)

      Joo, suosituimmat bloggaajat on nimenomaan supermallin näköisiä. Se on harmi, koska itselleni ainakin blogin laadun määrittelee valokuvaus, tyyli ja sisältö - ei se, kuinka pitkät sääret kirjoittajalla on. Onneksi on niitä poikkeuksiakin, eikä ihan kaikkien tarvitse näyttää tikuilta!

      Hienoa, että oot oppinut arvostamaan vartaloasi, vaikka syynä olikin leikkaus (mitä ei tietysti koskaan toivo kenellekään). Osaisipa sitä itse vähitellen löytää sen arvostuksen ilman, että täytyy ensin "menettää" jotain.

      Muistan kyllä kohtuuden treenaamisessa, koskaan ei ole ollut ongelmaa siinä, että salilla tulis käytyä liikaa... ;D

      Tsemppiä sinnekin päin! :)

      Delete
  9. sulla on niin hyviä ajatuksia tässä, ettei ole mitään lisättävää. on "jonkun verran" kokemusta näiden asioiden ympäriltä, joten tajuan täysin millasta on käydä läpi tuollaisia elämänvaiheita. mut onneks kaikki kääntyy aina paremmaks :) kohta tulee kesä ja saa hymyillä kilpaa auringon kanssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) oot ihana, ei mulla muuta <3 nähään taas pian!

      Delete